What is mold and why can it be a problem after a flood?
Mold is a kind of microscopic fungus. There are many types of molds, and they are present throughout the environment, indoors and out. Tiny mold particles are always present in the air, in the form of tiny microscopic cells known as spores.
Mold spores can germinate and grow in a moist or damp environment, on any surface that contains organic matter. A home that’s been flooded can provide ideal conditions for the growth and proliferation of mold
Why is mold a health concern?
Indoor mold can trigger allergies or allergy-like symptoms affecting the upper respiratory system. Although other, more serious problems may occur if people are exposed to very high levels of mold, the most common complaints are:
- nasal and sinus congestion
- wheeze/breathing difficulties
- sore throat
- skin and eye irritation
- upper respiratory infections (including sinus infections)
The effect of mold on different people can vary widely. However, long-term exposure to high levels from indoor mold growth can eventually be unhealthy for anyone. The following groups of people may be at greater risk than others:
- infants, children and the elderly
- individuals with respiratory conditions or sensitivities such as severe indoor allergies and asthma
- persons with weakened immune systems (for example, people with HIV infection, chemotherapy patients, organ transplant recipients)
MDH recommends that you consult a medical professional if you feel your health is being affected by a moldy environment.
In addition to health complaints, mold damages building materials, goods, or furnishings when it grows on them. Mold growth and moisture may eventually compromise the building’s structural integrity. Because of potential health concerns and damage to property, molds should not be allowed to grow and multiply indoors.
CAN I CLEAN THE WATER OR MOLD UP MYSELF?
It is best to leave water damage cleanup and mold removal to the professionals. Companies certified in home restoration services have the best training and equipment to help you with your problems. Ottawa Extreme Clean is fully certified in dealing with these environmental hazards quickly, properly and professionally.
After a flood, the mold can grow and spread quickly throughout your house. It is not safe for you or any family members (including pets!) to be in the house during this time. It is best to call professional mold removal specialists to contain the issue and dispose of the mold without contaminating anything clean.
CALL Today To Get a FREE Assessment!